Thursday, May 22, 2014

Ontario Genealogical Conference 2014 Genealogy Without Borders

My wife and I attended this conference, which was held at Brock University in St. Catharines, Ontario, May 1-4.
My wife set up and looked after a both in Marketplace, The Guild of One-Name Studies.

I attended lectures.

We both attended the Opening Ceremonies and the Houston Memorial Lecture. The speaker was Chris Paton, and he gave a very fast moving and interesting story about his family. His theme fit nicely with the theme of the past few RootsTech conferences which stressed family stories.

On Saturday morning I attended the Plenary session - Social Media Panel moderated by John Reid.

After the panel, I sat in on the OGS Annual General Meeting.
At this meeting awards were presented. My wife and I are on the OGS Awards Committee.

I am also the editor of The Ottawa Genealogist, the Journal of the Ottawa Branch OGS. I had submitted a 2013 issue for consideration in The Dr. Don Brearly Newsletter Award. I won! First time! Great feeling!

Other than that, the lectures I attended were interesting. Nothing popped out at me that would help me in my research. I did talk to Hank Jones, who I had met in Ottawa at one of our Gene-O-Rama conferences. I have Palatine ancestors and he has done great work on the Palatines.

No comments:

Post a Comment